|Thursday, December 6, 2012|
ODU Announces Plans for Minimizing Game Day-Related Disruptions on First Day of Final Exams
In an effort to minimize disruptions on the first day of exams Saturday, in light of Old Dominion's FCS football playoff game at noon, university officials are making a number of accommodations regarding campus parking and game-day activities.
With exams scheduled from 8:30-11:30 a.m. and from 3:45-6:45 p.m., Provost Carol Simpson has announced the following accommodations:
• The Ted South Parking Garage C at the corner of 43rd street and Hampton Boulevard (behind the McDonald's) and the overflow lot nearby will be reserved for faculty and students taking exams and coming to campus for other academic reasons. Football patrons will not be authorized to park in either of these locations. Parking and Transportation Services recommends avoiding Hampton Boulevard if possible when coming to campus, as there could be congestion associated with football; Colley Avenue to 43rd Street is an option to access Garage C. If you have specific questions or concerns about parking, call Parking and Transportation Services at 3-4004.
• Activities, programming and music from the marching band that usually take place on Kaufman Mall prior to football games will be moved inside to Webb Center.
• Police will be stationed at each academic building to control access and limit entry to those taking exams.
• Fans attending the football game will be informed that there are final exams taking place on campus on Saturday. They will be asked to respect the academic mission of the university during pre-game and post-game activities.
"I appreciate your patience as we work to accommodate faculty, students and those attending the football game," Simpson said. "I have asked for faculty to extend leniency toward any students who could possibly arrive late, especially for the exams beginning at 3:45. Egress from campus and parking facilities following the game may overlap arrival of students who are entering campus and parking facilities for the exam period."
Simpson added that faculty and students should allow additional time to arrive on campus, park and walk to their designated exam location.
The university also announces the following additional parking changes for Saturday's football game:
• ODAF tailgate lots open at 8 a.m. ODAF members should use the playoff parking pass originally issued with their season parking passes.
• Constant Center South Garage (C) at the corner of 43rd Street and Hampton Boulevard, and the garage next to Perry Library on 43rd Street, will not be available for fans in order to provide parking for students taking exams.
• General parking for fans that do not have reserved parking through ODAF will be provided at the Constant Center North Garage (D), and on the grass fields located on the north side of campus behind Larchmont Elementary, through the access entry points on Bolling Avenue. Additional general parking will be available on the temporary lots between 38th and 41st streets along Hampton Boulevard on the south side of campus. No tailgating will be permitted in either the Larchmont or temporary lots.
• Directional signage will be placed along Hampton Boulevard to assist fans, and the university asks fans to follow the directions to lots to expedite traffic.
• Academic buildings on campus will not be accessible to fans attending the games.
• Activities, programming and music that usually takes place on Kaufman Mall prior to kickoff will be moved inside Webb Center. However, individual tailgating will be permitted on Kaufman Mall.
ODU requests that all fans attending Saturday's game respect the academic mission of the university during pre- and post-game activities.